- Events & Classes
- About the Library
- Contact Us
- Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan
- Board of Trustees
- Library Cable Channel
- Meeting Rooms
- Friends of The Library
- Library Foundation
- Donate to the Library
- Requests For Proposals
- Community Partnerships
- Hours Of Operation
- Central Library
- Beaumont Branch
- Eagle Creek Branch
- Northside Branch
- Tates Creek Branch
- Village Branch
- Using the Library
Online Job Searches
This page is an online companion to Online Job Searches, an adult program presented at the Beaumont Branch of the Library on February 4, 2009. Below you will find a list of the free email services, guidelines about formatting resumes for online submission, and links to several job sites which were discussed in the program.
Getting Started with Online Job Searches
When beginning your online job search it is important to make sure you have the materials you will likely need to find and apply for jobs electronically. The two most neccesary components are::
- An email account that you check regularly.
- An electronic copy of your resume.
Having email will allow you to submit your application, resume, or any other materials a prospective employer might require quickly and easily. An electronic copy of your resume, will allow you to use email and other web applications to submit materials online.
- Gmail - Free email from Google
- Hotmail - Free email from Microsoft
- AOL Mail - Free email from AOL
- Yahoo Mail - Free email from Yahoo
- Resumes for online submission should be formatted with Microsoft Word for maximum compatibility.
- Microsoft Word provides templates for formatting resumes.
- Make sure to save your resume as a Word 97-2003 document. This will as well insure compatibility.
- You can use Microsoft Word at any branch of the Lexington Public Library.
Job Search Sites
- Monster.com - National Job Search Site
- CareerBuilder.com - National Job Search Site
- CraigsList.org - National Job Classifieds Site
- Idealist.org - National Nonprofit Job Site
- USAjobs.gov - Federal Government Jobs
- Kentucky.gov - Kentucky State Government Jobs
- LexingtonKY.gov - Lexington City Government Jobs
- UKY.edu - University of Kentucky Jobs
The Central Library offers free resume and online job application assistance from 3 to 5 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. A computer class teacher is on hand to assist patrons on a walk-in basis (first-come, first-served) with resumes and online applications. For more information, call the Central Library computer lab at (859) 231-5573. The Eagle Creek Branch also offers free help with resumes and online job applications from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursdays. Call the branch at (859) 231-5560 for more information.
If you have additional questions you can contact the instructor of this program, Jonathan Hollinger.