- Events & Classes
- Contact Us
- Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan
- Board of Trustees
- Library Cable Channel
- Mission Statement
- Strategic Plan
- Meeting Rooms
- Friends of The Library
- Library Foundation
- Donate to the Library
- Requests For Proposals
- Community Partnerships
- Hours Of Operation
- Central Library
- Beaumont Branch
- Eagle Creek Branch
- Northside Branch
- Tates Creek Branch
- Village Branch
- Using the Library
Where Can I Volunteer?
Feel free to contact any library branch for information on volunteering. You can also fill out our volunteer application and we will contact you about volunteer opportunities.
How Can I Volunteer?
|The Friends of the Library operate a bookstore – Friends
Book Cellar – in the lower level of the Central Library. Money raised by selling books and gifts supports new and ongoing Library programs and services. Help is needed with sorting, shelving, and selling books. Call 231-5505 for more information.
|Book Buddies is a free home delivery service for permanently homebound adults. Volunteers are matched one-on-one with a customer and deliver books on a regular basis. This is a longer-term volunteer commitment for adults over age 21. Call 231-5592 to apply.|
Spellbinder volunteers enchant school children with wonderful stories while supporting school curriculum. Call 231-5554 for information about the next training.
Volunteer on the storytime bus!
The Lexington Public Library is looking for volunteers to support our newest service to children: Traveling Daycare Storytime.
Climb aboard to help us develop literacy skills through stories, movement, music, and fun for children ages 3 to 5. Traveling Daycare Storytime will be departing for Lexington daycares on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
For more information, call 231-5536.
Other opportunities may be available at your local library. Each Lexington Public Library location has a volunteer coordinator.
- Beaumont 231-5570
- Central 231-5534
- Eagle Creek 231-5560
- Northside 231-5590
- Tates Creek 231-5580
- Village 231-5575
- Outreach 231-5519
How Do I Apply?
Some things to consider before applying:
- How much time do you want to commit to a volunteer job?
- Do you want to volunteer for a one-time special project or long term?
- What days or hours do you prefer?
- What experience do you have that would prepare you for your volunteer job?
- What are you looking for in your volunteer experience?
Things You Should Have:
- A commitment to your volunteer position
- A positive attitude
- A desire to support and extend library services
In order to begin volunteering with the Lexington Public Library, you will:
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator
- Complete a volunteer application (A parent/guardian must sign the application if the volunteer is under the age of 18.)
- Pass a criminal background check (if 18 or older)
- Sign a Volunteer Commitment Contract (A parent/guardian must sign the contract if the volunteer is under the age of 18.)
- Be placed in a volunteer position
- Complete a volunteer orientation
Fill our out online application and we will contact you. If you want to volunteer at a specific library branch, please visit that branch and fill our a paper volunteer form.
Click here to apply today: Volunteering at the Library
General Volunteer Information
What will I be doing?
Each location has unique needs. Talk to the volunteer coordinator at your location to find out what opportunities are available.
What will I get from this?
- An opportunity to share your talents and skills
- A chance to make new friends
- Satisfaction from knowing that you are helping promote reading and literacy in your community
- Experience you can put on your college, job, or scholarship application