Volunteering for Homework Help
Help students with reading, math, social studies, and science assignments at the Village Branch of Lexington Public Library. Volunteers need patience, a love of children, flexibility, and the ability to serve. Volunteers will assist students with daily homework assignments, reading, and school projects.
To volunteer as an individual:
Volunteers make Homework Help possible. We appreciate your willingness to commit time to help it succeed. We have found that a minimum commitment of 4 weekly sessions is optimal for the efficient running of the program and student success. Thanks for your consideration!
- Fill out the Homework Help Volunteer Application, with complete information, including the days and times you are available for homework help.
- Attend volunteer orientation at the Village Branch prior to the first shift.
- Complete the background check that is required for adult volunteers.
- The Library must receive a completed background check prior to your first shift.
- Students under the age of 18 are welcome. A background check is not required for volunteers under the age of 18, but applicants under 18 must have permission of parent or guardian. Please ask for a paper application if you are under 18.
To volunteer as a group:
Groups wishing to volunteer for Homework Help may choose to sponsor the program for a set time period such as a week or a month. We welcome you to do so by completing the following steps:
- Contact the Village Branch to establish a mutually agreeable time frame to volunteer (231-5500 x2800)
- Collect the names of all volunteers from your organization.
- Ensure that all participants have completed a background check that includes verification that the sexual offender database has been checked.
- Create a letter listing the names of the participants that certifies the background check has been completed - it must be dated and signed by the leader of your organization and sent to the library via email or snail mail.
- The letter must be received by the library prior to the first volunteer beginning work at the library. Please send to:
Lexington Public Library
140 E. Main St.
Lexington, KY 40507